Saturday, November 28, 2009

When I grow up...what will I be?

Do you ever wonder what you're going to be when you grow up?

I used to wonder all the time.
This is kind of a little embarrassing, but this is what I wanted to be when I was little....


1. A hobbit camp owner. =O For anyone who hasn't watched Lord of the Rings.... well a hobbits just kind of like a dwarf who lives in a hole in a hill and has hairy feet and never wears shoes (not a good combination- I wondered why no one went near Frodo =]...sorry - terrible joke I know)
So basically I wanted to have a Christain camp based around Lord of the Rings with the houses sunk deep into hills. I was going to have a castle and everything. If you haven't figured it out yet, I was LOTR-obsessed.
2. I was going to be an author. I even printed out one of my books and gave it to the library. I got on the front page of the Newspaper. I was so proud........
(actually kinda living that dream at the moment with all the blog posts I do and I'm still writing stories......but they're much, much, MUCH better than my first one.)
3. I wanted to be an actor. Still do movies but would never actually pursue it as a career.
4. A shepherd. This was when I was seriously little. I thought shepherds still had funny robes and crooks like the pictures in the bible stories Mum read me. Every day I'd go outside with my crook in my robes and prayed to God for some sheep. One day, 3 sheep walked up our driveway and started chewing the grass on our back lawn. I am not joking. We have photographical evidence..... (The end of that story was when a guy came and took them away. Apparently they wandered away from him somehow. I can't remember the details. Anyway the moral of the story is Miracles do happen.)
5. In a band called the Lads. They were the best.....then I decided I liked Mayday to much to leave and anyway by that time they'd completely stuffed themselves by going little kiddish like the Wiggles. =( very sad. Their guitar player was the man!


Ummm that's about it that I can remember.
In the last year or so I've been especially thinking about this quite a bit more. I don't want to be a hobbit-camp-owner, actor, shepherd or Lad anymore, so what will I be? I've got to get a job eventually and I don't just want something moderate which you do just for money like that job at McDonalds which I was going to get a while back. I want to do something cos I love it not necessarily for the money. I don't think money what matters in this life. As Jon Foreman (Switchfoot) says in his song Gone "...all the riches of kings end up in wills."
There's much more important things to do than obtaining money.
So I want to do something I love. Well there's quite a few things I love but which one is the right one? Guitar? Writing? Skiing? Soccer? Cooking?
I was having this big as struggle with it cos school seemed to be getting nowhere. Maths, English, Science, and Media Studies were doing nothing for me. I didn't want to do Correspondence school cos what's the point in getting credits if I haven't even worked out if I want to go to Uni. I know everyone says "oh you've finished school! Off to university aye?" but I don't see the point in going to "school" for an extra three years, and having to pay for it, if there's not anything I want to study there. My sister Beka goes to Uni, and she loves it, but she's studying something which she is totally passionate about, and it's helping her heaps. I mean, I'm not saying I'm not passionate about music but I would never want to study it...... I love playing it but I cannot for the life of me get my head around the whole theory side of it. In my opinion, it makes the music dead, lifeless.
So I'm not going to uni, and can't find any job which will either hire me or I like, so back to the original question, but rephrased slightly.


WHAT WILL I DO?

If you know me, you'll know that I'm a pretty impatient person, so I got quite annoyed that God was taking so long to answer me.
Then I finally got it.
What if he wasn't saying "Wait for the answer" but just "Wait"?
So now I've stopped worrying. I don't know what I'm going to to, but I don't really care either. There's this cool as quote by a guy called Edward Monkton, which I think pretty much sums up the whole thing. "He knows not where he's going for the ocean will decide. It's not the destination it's the glory of the ride."
And some final words from me.
It's not what you are that's important. It's WHO you are.


"When I grow up, I want to be just like you."

Jordan

3 comments:

beka said...

mint jord :)
i'm so proud of you!
xxx

Anonymous said...

made me cry.. i'm so proud of you too.
xoMe

Anonymous said...

That is awesome, miracles do happen and when they do they are amazing! I want to be like you.


*Dan*