Saturday, September 29, 2012

Every Saturday

I usually really enjoy Saturday mornings because I get to catch up on the sleep I've missed in the weekdays.
Unfortunately, my body clock decided that was a bad idea and thought 6 am was a far better time to wake up. My brain didn't agree with this, and they argued about it for the next two hours. Eventually I couldn't be bothered and just got up.
After a lovely breakfast where I smashed back some well-needed coffee, I drove my sisters car to the garage to get fixed. Which was quite an interesting experience, because it was an automatic. All I can say is you don't appreciate a good gearstick until it's gone. Or a clutch for that matter.
Surprisingly enough, I did manage to get some study done. But by the time I turned to rhythm dictation (one of the most boring things to study ever), my brain was complete mush so I gave up and jammed out some guitar instead. Always a better alternative haha.
After I went on a huge mish uptown with my friends to grab some speciality food. Cos we're cool like that. We managed to get hopelessly lost, and then it was really ironic because some people asked us for directions as if we were locals. Hilarious! Anyway, we finally found the place we were looking for (or one close enough) but then I had to ditch to go pick up the car. Managed to find my own way back though, after a really confusing text conversation. Oh and I paid for parking for like the first time ever - really feeling pretty grown up today. We had a lovely sushi lunch in the square where I ate way to much wasabi (oh that stuff is incredible!), spilled half my sushi on the ground (cos I suck at using chopsticks) tried root beer for the first time (it wasn't too bad) and drunk chrysanthemum tea (which tasted strangely like medicine).
Then we boosted it back to the hostel, where I was meaning to do some more study - but once again the old brain failed on me. I really should try getting more sleep haha. So I ended up spending most of the rest of the afternoon messing around on Logic. There wasn't much I could do without a MIDI input or loops, so I had to improvise using the built in microphone on my Mac. So I ended up with a 23 second long loop which was just basically me tapping my desk and other various things to stimulate drum sounds and then putting all sorts of effects on them. Gotta love found sounds. It probably would have sounded a lot better if I'd managed to get the metronome going properly (it's really quiet in the mix for some reason which makes it real hard to hear it when you're recording), but oh well. I found out a few interesting things while doing it, like blowing on the top of an empty coke bottle while playing through a filtered delayed microphone gives a lovely phase-type effect. And that a single key makes a really interesting cymbal sound. It was kind of pointless as I don't know how to save any of the loops (and they're most probably out of time anyway) but it was a fun and creative way of spending time, and helped get my mind off things. Music programs for the win!!! I'm going to have to get an interface sometime this holidays, and then I can get into the real stuff!
After that it was tea time, and then we watched a few films. Saw half of The Two Towers Extended Edition which was real interesting because there was so many scenes in there I hadn't seen!!! And also because Lord of the Rings is awesome. Then we watched Phonebooth which was also quite good despite the plot summary basically being: 1) Guy gets into a phone booth 2) Mysterious caller on the other end of the phone threatens to shoot him 3) Guy gets out of the phone booth 4) Guy gets back into the phone booth and stays there for most of the rest of the movie 5) Guy finally gets out of the phone booth for good (and promptly gets shot for his pains). The result? I don't plan on getting in a phone booth anytime soon...
And now I'm mega tired and slightly confused because it's daylight saving and my clock says 12.47 when really it's only 11.47. But soon it will be actually an hour forward which I feel is going to mess up my already messed up sleep patterns. Oh well it doesn't matter to much because I'm going for a run tomorrow at 7 anyway. Beats me why, but you only live once - anyway the exercise will do me good....

What's your weekend been like so far? Got up to anything crazy?



No comments: