Monday, September 17, 2012

The Return!

I've been thinking a lot lately about writing.
Even though I'm a musician first and foremost, writing has always been a big part of my life. It's one of those rare talents which comes easier to me than most other things. 
See, music I have to work at. Sure, I can enjoy it -I can even just relax and let it take me places (something which is finally starting to get a little easier for me this year, judging from the amount of instrumentals and original improvisation I've been cramming out this year). But it's something I have to constantly work at, practice, practice, and PRACTICE again till it starts to sink in. Most of the time, I can't just pull a song or a sweet riff out from thin air - but I can craft it, molding ideas into notes, into tunes, fitting words to chords... 

Writing on the other hand, just seems to flow. 
I don't even really think about it sometimes. Like at the moment as I'm writing this my minds thinking about
a) it being 10.00 b) the song currently playing on Spotify (Imagine Dragons) and c) whether my friend's going to agree to playing Nirvana or not. Only half my attention is actually focused on what I'm saying... but my fingers are doing a pretty good job of doing the talking.

What I'm getting at here is I really need to pay more attention to this blog. And I'm not just saying that because I've said it before, or because I made a resolution, or anything like that. No, me coming back to this blog is all about my writing. And honestly, I need to do that more. I've missed it quite a bit. Putting time and effort into creating a piece of text for no other reason than because you feel you have something to say is one of the most satisfying feelings I know. 

And I have so many things to say! It's just when I'm put on the spot, my mind draws a blank. And it's much easier to hit up Facebook for a few hours than sit here staring at my computer thinking about what to say in the shortest amount of time possible. Sad I know, but unfortunately true. So to avoid going into that awkward phase, I've hatched upon a brilliant idea. Well, at least I think it's worth talking about. 

Instead of me having to sort through whatever's going on while facing the degenerating wall of laziness, you the reader, can decide...

Now this involves a little bit of interaction on your part. But the rules are pretty simple. I'll post up a list of  topics which interest me, and you leave a comment on whatever ones you'd like to read about. Or, if you want to, anything I could blog about (within reason). Don't be afraid to suggest stuff! 

  • Mini-devotionals on some of my favorite bible verses.
  • MORE music reviews!!! (You might have to suggest the artists though!)
  • 10 things about me most people don't know. 
  • Short stories (Yeah I used to write stories heaps! But I always sucked at the shorter ones.... my problem is I usually have to many words, and they turn into mini-novels).
  • My slight obsession with superheroes.
  • What to do in a zombie apocalypse.
  • People I would love to meet, and what I'd like to say to them.
  • Why religion is stupid.
  • Old school music vs the tunes of the modern day.
  • The Christian 'scene' - with all it's pro's and con's.
If that's not enough to start with, I don't know what is! Happy voting guys!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i vote #3,6&8

Anonymous said...

what would you do in a zombie apocalypse?