Friday, October 5, 2012

Writing, and five other things...

Seeing as it's holidays, I've had a lot of time to sit around doing nothing. Which is kind of fun for a bit, but it does get boring after awhile. So after looking up hipsters, Mr Bean, and internet memes on Wikipedia, scaring myself silly playing Slender, and going on Facebook way to much, I've decided there's really only one thing left to do.

Start writing!

Should definitely get rid of this boredom...
Except now that I think about it (which usually happens when I start writing), there's heaps of other ways to get over being bored.

1) Learning another language.
Not going to lie, I have a great amount of respect and admiration for people who are bilingual. I love hearing people talk in other languages and trying to guess what they're saying. But it would be even more awesome to actually be able to understand them! I have a few friends who can speak more than one language, and while they say that it can be hard to adjust back into English, they do get the occasional perk (such as dreaming in other languages - how cool would that be!).
Personally, I would love to learn Italian. I've been absolutely fascinated with the country for quite a few years now, and it would be incredible to master it's native tongue. It's a pity they didn't offer it at my school, because I would have loved to have learned it when I was a bit younger. Unfortunately they didn't though, and I've had to make do with a few scattered phrases from a couple of guide books. This would definitely be worth devoting more of my time though, especially if I plan on traveling. Hmm, now to find myself an Italian friend...

2) Tune your guitar down.
After a while, you get sick of playing in standard E tuning and start wondering about how you can change your tone. A really great way of getting creative with your guitar playing is tuning down (never up as my friend James says) and just experimenting. It's actually really hard because it forces you to not rely on your basic knowledge and just make stuff up. Which can be quite freeing actually once you get it right. Though you can tune to "lower versions" of E standard (such as drop C, or half-a-step down) where things sound sort of similar but a bit more hardcore, my personal favorites are open tunings (such as open G). These sound absolutely gorgeous, especially on an acoustic, and really have some of the nicest tones and chords out.
Speaking for myself, I don't really tune down as much as I ought to - probably because sometimes it takes quite a bit of time and effort to get it there. But when I do, I really enjoy the different tones and notes you get out of it. Last tuning I did was on Wednesday to play some Trivium. And it was a pretty intense jam session after that, let me tell you!

3)  Watch movies.
I know this is a bit of a no-brainer, but sometimes all you feel like doing is blobbing out to a good film. Or a bad one for that matter. Last night me and my brother watched the worst film of my life in an attempt to find this scene:

 

Why? Because it's got the worlds worst acting in. And therefore it's unintentionally hilarious!
Unfortunately we're idiots and wasted a good hour watching the first film all because I forgot to put a "2" in the Youtube search.
Oh yes, and I plan on watching "Battlefield" later. This really is a week for terrible movies :D

4)  Check out some good comedy.
New Zealand is a pretty tiny country, so it's kind of no fault of our own that we don't do so well at a couple of things. Besides rugby, we don't do so well in team sports, and our music scene is pretty tiny. But one thing we do get right is comedy. If you've never seen some New Zealand comedy, then you're really missing out! I'm not sure if it's their deadpan humor, or just the fact that they know some really good jokes, but they never fail to make me laugh.
My personal favorites are Rhys Darby and the comedians on Jonno and Ben at 10. Which I'm watching now coincidentally :D. It's such a good program! Except for Dad's laughing was possibly even more funny. He completely lost it when at this bit

5) Read blogs!
I know this sounds like a bit of shameless promotion for myself, but seriously! Blogs make for some good reading, and definitely fill up heaps of your time. Speaking from experience, I can honestly say that us bloggers really appreciate the fact that there are people out there who enjoy reading our ramblings. Well, maybe just my ramblings - heaps of other blogs have a lot more structure to them! When I'm not busy writing my own, I enjoy checking out all the ones listed in my "links" bar, as well as quite a few others. Whether they're about movies, music, or just peoples lives, they're real interesting and definitely worth the 5 minutes or so it takes to read through them! 
Oh and seeing as you've made the effort to get this far, please take the option of spending a few more minutes of your free time to post a comment. Which will also be greatly appreciated, and no doubt replied to! 

Jordan



No comments: