Thursday, March 8, 2012

Justice

"He has showed thee, O man, what is good: and what does the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" - Micah 6:8

So at the moment, there's a lot of talk going on about this guy called Kony.
If anyone of you has been on Facebook in the last couple of days, you can't have missed it really. Most of it seems to be a video, or a picture or something. Yesterday my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to check this out.
Turns out there's quite a bit more to this than just another passing fad on Facebook. Shortly I'll outline the main points from what I understand or from what people have told me, but if you want a more detailed version I would definitely suggest reading Invisible Children's "official blurb" at http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/history.html or watching the video at
http://kony2012.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/ , then reading the "rebuttal" from

Basically the main point is this. There's this guy called Joseph Kony, who is head of the LRA (Lord's Resistance Army) in Uganda. This man has not enough support from his countrymen to make up a sizable army to further his political agenda, so he kidnaps children. From villages all over the place, and these children are not just used as child soldiers but as sex slaves too. It's gotten so bad that the Ugandan government has had to move entire villages into refugee camps just for their protection, which of course just creates more issues such as sanitation, etc.
The whole reason this is getting a lot of media attention right now is not because this is a relatively "new" issue. Apparently it's been going on for years, and this organization called Invisible Children have been pressuring the US government about arresting this man for a while. However, it seems like 2012 they seem to be doing a really big drive, as if almost to say: this is the year where we're going to finish this, and this horrible man will finally no longer be a threat to Uganda and it's children.

The thing about this is they're going to need your support.

These days it's not enough to have a few individuals talking. It's not enough to have a company, or an organization talking. Even if a few famous people or politicians get behind it, it still can be deemed as unimportant. These days, the only way to set the world on fire, to get change happening, is to get everyone talking. And more than just that, get everyone doing. Sometimes all it takes is for people to get up on their feet to start feeling like they can make a difference. And if they start feeling it, then it can, and it will happen.

I love it when this happens. When something like this which has been sitting around is addressed in a new and fresh way. And even more than that, when everyone can get involved. I think to often we are blinded to the issues of poverty, child slavery, and lack or rights because we feel restricted by our mediocre civilian status. We feel like there's no way we can't make a difference, so we don't even try. And then something like this comes along, and all of a sudden everyone is talking about it! And we realize that maybe we can do something.

While I haven't studied both sides of the issue in full, I have seen a bit from both of them. And my perspective, my opinion, is this.

I support this completely. Sure, the organization itself might have it's faults, but overall I think they're trying to do the right thing. I think it's horrible that people like Joseph Kony can do things like this and get away with it for so long. As the oldest guy in a large family, it's fair to say I have a reasonable grasp of children, and I cannot even begin to imagine something like that could be happening to a family like mine over the other side of the world. Once again, as in my blog I posted in early February (http://maydayrockstar.blogspot.co.nz/2012/02/what-about-all-times-we-dont-give.html) , I am reminded about how when we are given a decision, given a call to "act justly" like Micah mentions, it is all so easy to sit back and do nothing. Yet we cannot ignore this call! As this passage I wrote out at the top of the blog says, this is what the Lord requires of us! And maybe you don't believe in God, or you're still trying to figure that out. That's fine, but surely you believe in mercy? Surely you believe in justice? You don't have to be a super perfect person to figure this out: one of the most important ideals any human should have is to help out those in need. Those worse off than you. And in this case, these are the children which Kony has abducted, and forced into something which is just another name for slavery. I think that this has gone on to long, and justice needs to be demanded of this man.

But in saying that, I don't think it should stop there. There are many, many situations which call for justice in this world. And so often, while going after the big ones like these, we forget the smaller ones too. Sometimes it can be as simple as helping out or donating to a homeless person, something I touched on in my earlier blog (see above link). I think that this Kony thing is starting a fire, and I want to toss the branch that is me onto that pile. Let this man and his atrocities be stopped. But let us not stop there. In the words of Hawk Nelson "One little revolution could turn it all around".
Spread the word!

What are your thoughts on this? Any "facts" which I missed out? Do you support it or not really care? Drop a line, and let's get the discussions started!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched the movie and while I was moved by it, felt kind of angry that this guy has to be made famous to be brought down. I felt like my response was pretty head-in-the-sand and wishy washy I guess. But I am much more enthused by reading your blog, especially the bit about doing our bit wherever we are.
My heart goes out to the kids I can see.. the ones who don't know basic stuff when they're halfway through primary school; the ones with cigarette burns up and down their legs and arms whose age can be counted on one hand; the ones who cut themselves trying to deal with the emotional turmoil inside them; the ones who drink themselves to oblivion for a break from the racetrack of life... I have trouble bearing their pains and I guess I'm insulating myself from such vaster pain there must be in situations like those kids in Uganda face. But you're right, we are called to make a difference, and whether its near, or far, the important thing is that we stand up and do that thing which changes a child's life.. a person's life.. for the better.
Sharing what you did made a difference to my thinking. May many many lives be touched and transformed because of the seed you planted here in this blog.

Hannah M. said...

I agree with you entirely. That's all I can say about it, hahaha.

thefallingmovement said...

Hey anonymous! Yeah, I totally get what you're saying there. It kind of seems like a weird way to do it, and a bit strange that it's finally getting attention now...
Your response is what you feel at the time, so don't worry too much about it. Personally I wasn't sure if I'd even worded mine the same way as it sounded in my head so I'm glad you enjoyed it.
My heart also goes out to kids like that. I think we've got to realize that while the Kony issue is a big thing, let's not just forget those other issues. Sure lets bring him down, but lets bring a few other things down while we're at it!
Thank you very much too Hannah - glad you agree!