Thursday, March 1, 2012

Day 3 and the ones before

So university is pretty much rocking my world so far!
On the first day we pretty much did introductory stuff. It wasn't too exciting but we got to have a look at some of the stuff we'd be doing, so that was great. Oh and we got shoved in our bands too. Straight out like that! Me being incredibly lucky Jordan as usual somehow winded up in a four piece - one more than Mayday! I was kind of a little bit disappointed about this, because I kind of wanted there to be another guitarist in there so we could make up all those sweet two part guitar solos or whatever, and that someone could take over the soloing if I couldn't handle it....
But hey, I'm not actually worried about it that much, cos the band I did get shoved in is actually pretty awesome! Our first practice didn't actually sound quite as bad as I thought it would go. Everyone else seems to be such good musicians, I'm clearly going to have to step up my game! But it's mean, they're all nice as about it and I've been getting lots of help (especially with the guitar solos :P...). At the moment we're jamming out some rock and roll which means a LOT of Buddy Holly and "That'll be the Day"' practice.... it's a good song but I really am starting to get a bit sick of it.
The thing I love the most though is just the jamming. Yesterday we got told that we had to write a song in this genre. So I just went home and mucked around with a couple of riffs that sounded pretty 50s to me. I took them into band practice today, and the rest of the band actually thought they were good! Our rehearsal mostly was trying to get "That'll be the day" down though, so afterwards we went back to the main building to just jam it out. And once we got into it, and with a few tweaks to my original riff, we got like the whole song, lyrics, structure, and all, in about an hour! And it actually sounds amazing! It was like one of the few times where I just make the music, not write the words or anything, so it was kind of a weird feeling in a way, but also pretty cool too. ARGH I love writing music! Haven't done it for months, so it was so great to create something original out of a whole pile of ideas again! IT'S SO AWESOME! Really can't wait to play it live either, it's going to be mean! If you live in New Zealand, make sure you're there when we perform it! (And if you aren't, by a plane ticket! :D..)
And after all that, the whole group practiced our item for UCOL's graduation. I'm not going to say what it is, cos I know Beka reads my blog and don't want to give it away! But it sounds absolutely beautiful.
No doubt about it, this year is going to be amazing!!!
Catch you on the road,

Jordan

2 comments:

Karisa said...

your band sounds really cool! keep playing, God's got big plans for you all!! -karisa from seeing triple :)

thefallingmovement said...

Thanks Karisa! Yeah will definitely keep it up!