Sunday, November 4, 2012

Prodigal

I really think the beauty of this song is the simplicity. I think if there's one thing I've learned this year, it's you know a song is good if you can strip it all back and it still takes you somewhere, and that's what I was trying to do with "Prodigal" From the rambling, country-esque acoustic intro to the nostalgic and reflective narrative, it all came together in about two or three hours on a Saturday afternoon after buying a harmonica. It's really almost ironic how I've spent the year searching for the perfect lyrics, getting deep into ambient sound textures and abstract yet meaningful ideals, yet throughout the simple story-telling words of this song weave some of the best lines I've ever written. Sometimes all you're after is just waiting for the right time to come out.
And even though it didn't sound 100% perfect at the gig on Thursday, it was amazing to perform one of my songs again - as I said at the show, something like this is really close to my heart. Got a few good comments afterwards which was real encouraging too - one lady said she loved my song and was blown away by my songwriting, which I was totally humbled by. That's why I do this, in the hope that it'll connect to people in some small way.
Hope you enjoy.



PRODIGAL

I'm not far from home, but homes far from me/ Forty odd miles and a distance unseen
I never roamed far, but I roamed far enough/ Got forty large piles just trying my luck

Driver pick me up and drop me off/ Take me anywhere I want to/ Pin me up, we'll drink it off/ Forgetting what we once knew

It's too late now/ That the winds have blown/ I forgot the road that takes me home

I thought man made the money, maybe money made the man/ Forty cents left and my friends all ran
I never taught faith but faith tested me/ Got forty odd doubts yet I still believe

Driver pick me up don't let me down/ Take me anywhere You want to/ Hold me up, I'll settle down/ Remember what I once knew

Is it too late now/ Or have new winds blown/ Show me the road that takes me home
          
                 (c) Copyright Jordan Gowan and The Falling Movement Music 2012




No comments: