Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sad News - Please read!

There's got to be something inbetween
There's got to be something we've not seen
Is there a chance to start again?
Between the beginning and the end
~ The Beginning and the End, 2010

This is the blog I hoped I'd never have to post....
I sit here, at almost an hour before midnight, procrastinating and reading other peoples blogs because some things are just so hard to say.
As a guy who's been writing for more than half of the life he's lived, two of the hardest words to say are "The End". It is when everything is wrapped up, all the loose ends are tied up, and the story finally comes to a conclusion. In storybooks, this is usually happy. It's the time to put down the book with a wry smile on your face.
In real life, it's not quite the same. More often than not, it's not quite as happy. Unfortunately, that's the way of life. Things begin. Things end. I was talking to a friend the other day about the concept of 2012, and he had an interesting spin on it. He thought that instead of the world ending, it would be more like an "age" would be ending. That people would finally realize what's wrong with the world and start doing something about it. It was a very interesting spin on it, and something I would totally support. The idea of people waking up and realizing there's problems is always something I've been interested in, and I would love it if that actually happened! Even though it seems more like a bit of a fairy tale ending - (especially as the friend told me they formulated that concept from some internet comics!). Anyway, it got me thinking. Life is all about beginnings and endings. They almost define us as such. In reality, LIFE itself is about what happens between the beginning (being born) and the end (passing away).
So anyway, I should really just say this straight out.

As of today, Mayday is going on indefinite hiatus.

Our reasons for this are twofold, but the main one is because I'm leaving. Living in another town would make it really hard to keep up the band, and especially if I'm going to be busy studying at university (something I never imagined I'd be doing!). The second is because we don't really seem to be getting anywhere with this. Even though 2011 was our best year gig-wise, with about 9 shows under our belts, it didn't really feel like we were putting everything into it. We only wrote four songs that entire year, and two were for Rockquest, something we threw everything we had at only to not even make it through to the next stage. The rest of the year, what with the major upheaval mid-way through 2011, it just felt like Mayday was taking a backseat. And despite my best efforts, it's stayed firmly in the back seat. We hardly even jam anymore. And so it comes to this.

We've had some good times, I've had an excellent grounding in music, what to do, and what not to do, just by jamming with my two brothers. I've vastly improved in songwriting, to the point that I can actually write some half-decent ones by myself, even if I can't really deliver in the singing department. :P And we got an EP recorded, so at least something is set down for people to remember us by.

This is not the end. Cause after all we're all brothers. It's not as if we can escape from ever playing music together again. Who knows, there might even be the odd show or two? But it's going on hiatus, because at the moment it's to much work to keep it all together, and it feels like I'm the one doing most of the work, even though I'm the one who's moving and is the reason for all this in the first place.

So yeah. Kinda sad about it, but as I explained before, all things must have a conclusion. This is the start of ours.

But don't worry, I will continue to update this blog with all the adventures I have in 2012. It just feels sad that we won't be doing them together. This is the next stage of my musical journey, and I'm ready to take it, even though leaving this behind me will be hard! But it's going to be exciting, so will definitely keep you updated. Just cos we're on hiatus doesn't mean you can stop following! :P

Jordan

Ps To all our American fans, I am sincerely sorry we never made it over there. Truly, I am.
However, I do hope to play music there one day, even if it's not with Mayday.

2 comments:

mayday said...

Oh Jords I am so sad that it has come to this. I am so very proud of the three of you though for your tenacity, patience and talents. You guys will alway rock for me!

Anonymous said...

aw Jords i love you guys so much and i'm so proud of all that you have done and all that you are. may God transform this ending/beginning into something greater and more powerful than you could ever have imagined; may the day come when you look back at your Mayday days and know they are a foundation on which something amazing has been built...
love and blessings
xoMe