Saturday, December 8, 2012

Friday Night Feature: 19 Things I like about....

Ok guys, so seeing as I finally have some internet on me, I thought what better way to spend it than to start writing something a little bit new: a little weekly feature I've came up with called "19 Things I like about..." . Which in a nutshell is where I pick something I've been really enjoying, whether it's music, films, books, people, or anything else which happens to cross my mind; and I write about that particular things, specifically stating 19 things in particular I like about it. Why nineteen? Well because it's the first number that popped into my head, and also it happens to be my age. Sounds good? Let's get started then!

This weeks topic: Radiohead.

Why I like Radiohead:

I had heard the name Radiohead bandied around a lot, and even listened to a few of their songs before this year, but for some reason never really got into them. Maybe this was because a lot of their music was simply weird, but still. This year I got a book about them out from the library and it was a fascinating read, and on top of that a friend really encouraged me to listen to them properly.
So I did, and next thing you know I end up with 5 of their albums. So you could say I'm a bit of a fan. And here's why.

1. In Rainbows


Not only does their 2007 album sound really good, the marketing strategy behind it was absolutely awesome, and something I really respect and is quite a rare thing to do in the music industry (especially if you're in a band this big). What was this strategy? Give the album away for free.
Ok, so the trial period didn't last long, and now if you want a legitimate copy you have to pay for it on Itunes or buy an actual cd. But still, the fact they did it at all is pretty darn awesome.







2. Johnny Greenwood's guitar playing

Actually this man's guitar playing is probably one of the first reasons I listened to Radiohead. His name was mentioned in one of those books about the worlds greatest guitar players, and seeing as he sounded real interesting, I thought I'd go have a listen.
Seriously, this guy is so underrated! Maybe it's because he prefers to make interesting sounds rather than do flashy, scale-based guitar solos, even though that's actually cooler in my opinion. But whatever it is, you can't deny that he's got some mad skills. Listen to the solos in "Paranoid Android", and "Just" if you don't believe me.

3. Stop Whispering

This was the first Radiohead song I listened to which I actually really enjoyed. Taken from their debut album, Pablo Honey, this is one of the few standout songs from the album, and, I'd venture to suggest, one of their best songs ever. I'm actually really surprised at the lack of success this song had as a single, considering it has such a good tune and is definitely one of their more accessible songs. From the plaintive vocals down to the tightness of the rhythm section and the overall lyrical message to "Stop whispering, start shouting", this is an underrated gem in the Radiohead catalogue.

4. Buzzy Time Signatures

Now as much as everyone loves tapping their feet along to a basic 4/4 beat (just cos it's the most instinctively natural one), this year I've been trying to experiment a bit more with my music by listening/playing to songs with different time signatures. And Radiohead are great for this, because they do it in spades. Whether it's the oddly synchopated "Morning Bell", the tempo changes in "Paranoid Android" or the general weirdness of "Pyramid Song" (for the life of me, I can't figure out what time signature they're playing in that one!!!!), it is such a great way of changing things up and making each song sound different and unique. Definitely something more bands should take into consideration.

5. Thom Yorke's vocals

Described as "a British vocalist who actually knows how to sing" in "Exit Music: The Story Of Radiohead", Thom Yorke is a singer who does as much experimenting with his voice as the rest of the band do on their various instruments. Whether it's his trademark, almost nasal delivery, or his ability to hit some incredible notes, he definitely has a very unique voice and a great range. However his vocal delivery, like most good things, is a bit of an acquired taste... I personally like it but it's probably not everyone's cup of tea.

6. Pyramid Song - Live


This version is totally awesome, and was what really got me into the song. I love the piano sound, and how Johnny's playing his guitar with a violin bow. Like a boss. The cd version is probably about only half as good compared to this!




7. Kid A


Ok, to be honest if you listen to just one song of this album you'll probably think it's some of the weirdest music you've ever heard, and chances are you probably won't enjoy it too much either (unless that song happens to be Everything In It's Right Place or Idiotique, which are both so awesome you can listen to them at any time.) I mean you get a rock band making an album using electronic techniques/instruments? What kind of crazy idea is that?
But the reason this album is included on here is because the overall sound of it is INCREDIBLE. If you crank this up through a set of good headphones, all the sound layers which come through are real amazing, and some of the effects they use are pretty unique. The album works best as a whole though. Enjoy a good fifty minutes of some of the weirdest and coolest music you'll ever here.

8. Guitar noise in "Just".

At 2.26 in the song precisely. Whatever that effects pedal is, I want one.

9. Paranoid Android

I would love this song for the riffing alone. But then ON TOP of that it puts one of the best solos I've heard for a while, a real nice quiet middle section with some great vocal layering/harmonies and then it's back to some more furious riffing! What's not to like? It's real awesome how they did it too, taking 3 different song parts and mixing it all up. Like "Kid A", it's something you think isn't going to work, but then it surprises you by doing so.

10. There There Lyrics

There There is such a great song (apart from the slightly annoying drum intro), that it's hard to find one particular thing about it that I like. But probably one of the main reasons this song sticks in your head is the great one-liners which pop up through it. "In the pitch darkness I go walking in your landscape" introduces the lyrics, and it's such a great way to start. This song also includes one of my favourite lines of words ever: "There's always a siren singing you to shipwreck." Love it!

11. The Mellotron

 I'm a fan of any musical instrument slightly out of the ordinary, and it doesn't get much better than this. This piano-type instrument gives such a unique sound and can be heard throughout Radiohead's work, most notably in "Exit Music" and "Airbag".

12. The Bends

This is probably Radiohead's most accessible album, and definitely my favourite. It's back when they fully embraced their Brit-rock guitar sound, so there's lots of great moments on this album. Oh and it has 7 of my favourite Radiohead songs on. Pretty decent effort!

13. Their name change

Originally this band was called "On A Friday". It's actually quite funny, because that's such a terrible band name - it's just real average, as if it's the name of a random jam-band who never make it out of their home town. And then they go and call themselves "Radiohead". Which is SUCH a good band name!!!!

14. Let Down

This melancholy tune from Ok Computer is one of those songs that you can just listen to over and over again. It sort of follows in the same vein as "Stop Whispering" in that respect, but also bears some similarities with "No Surprises" as well as standing as a great song in it's own right. Go check it out, you won't be disappointed!

15. One worldwide hit single.... still an incredibly famous band.

Awhile ago, we had to research pop music in New Zealand, and I could only find one of Radiohead's songs which had entered the charts over here (yeap, it was Creep). And yet this band still continues to be an influential and famous band. I think they're up to their 7th or 8th album now - that's proof enough of how enduring this band really is.

16. Motion Picture Soundtrack.

The song stays true to it's name - it really does sound like it's documenting a film. Quite impressive stuff, even if lyrically it's not so cool. But like everything from Kid A, the overall sound is the best part. Even if that minute of silence at the end of the song is kind of pointless.

17. Their acoustic songs.

Everyone loves a good old ballad! But I must say, only Radiohead can pull out all the stops in providing a melancholy, meandering, yet slightly hopeful, and overall beautiful acoustic song. "Fake Plastic Trees" happens to be one of my all-time favorite songs (2nd place on my Itunes proves this!) and "High and Dry" and "Exit Music" are great too.

18. My Iron Lung



Rated  52nd on Rolling Stone's list of greatest guitar songs (full list here), it's easy to see why this is one of my favorite songs! From the simple, clean yet crackly guitar intro to the menacing distorted tritone chords behind the solo, this is one great song to learn on guitar! I've been working through it, and think I've finally got the hang of it. Still, some parts are a little difficult. The second solo, in the rocked up bit has some fiendishly difficult parts!!!

19. Anyone Can Play Guitar.

I love the title of this song. But I think that it's so ironic that, despite being a good song, it's actually not too impressive guitar-wise. Oh well, we'll forgive them considering it was off their first album. And also because apparently a cook and a painter or some other random person helped play the guitar intro. Hmm maybe they were just trying to prove their point?



If that isn't enough reasons to go listen to Radiohead, I don't know what is!
Will catch you guys next week, in the next installment of 19 Things I Like about....

Feel free to drop in some potential suggestions, if there's anything you really reckon I should talk about! Or comments about how awesome Radiohead is would be met with approval.
Actually just comments in general would be awesome! :D



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

feeling a need to go checkout some Radiohead music just now...