Thursday, August 2, 2012

From Here To There...


Lately I've been thinking about the difference between walking and running.
And the point in between.

I suppose some of this may have to do with my current physical condition. Last Friday I was playing soccer with a few friends, and managed to sprain the middle toe on my left foot quite badly. By quite badly I mean I had to sit out the rest of the game, and could barely hobble back to the hostel. Since then, it has improved in small stages - I'm super stoked I can finally longboard again! But I still have a little bit of a limp. And every so often my foot gets a little twinge, almost as if to remind me that I am not completly whole.

The hardest part is not being able to run.
I like running. I don't do it very often, but when I do, I really enjoy it. The feeling of your muscles pumping, the ground shooting by underneath your feet - there's nothing like it in the world. And even when I am not running, I pride myself on my capacity to be able to run.
Now, when I can't even walk properly, I miss it even more. The other day I was walking, or rather hobbling, home from work and I had to limp past the Parkour crew. It was horrible, because all I wanted to do was join them in practicing wall vaults and precision jumps (or in my case, trying to wall vault and precision jumps!). But I had to limp past, a cripple only dreaming of being able to run.

There's just SOMETHING about having a limp which really gets to me. I guess it's because it's the point between walking and running where you can't do either very well.

It seems a bit like life sometimes....

It started off so well. Sometimes I just feel as if I'm gaining ground, picking up speed. As if I'm getting where I need to go in a short amount of time. My faith feels strong, and it's almost like progress is being made in every aspect of my life. Sure, I don't put as much effort in to it as I probably should.... but I pride myself in my ability to pick it up again whenever I choose.

And then I take the wrong tackle, and find myself sidelined.

It's such an anti-climax. Just waiting for the right time, till whatever holds me back is gone. I'm already dreaming of running....and yet, I cannot run. Sometimes, it's even hard to walk. I have to limp my way slowly, painfully through life.  It can get all very discouraging, when you feel the need to pick up the pace and yet are unable to do so. It can get extremely frustrating when you dream so big, dream of running so far, and something - you're not even sure what - is holding you back.

Sometimes I feel like I am moving just for the sake of moving. Stuck in between running and walking, and not really doing either properly. And I just wonder, how am I supposed to get from here to there?

2 comments:

Hannah M. said...

It is something that will pass quickly, Jords... it will not last forever. You will heal, because we have a God of healing. Praying for you!

thefallingmovement said...

Thanks Hannah! So needed that reminder of how awesome God is right now.... I honestly appreciated that comment so much!