Saturday, May 12, 2012

Art and Sound (Part 2)

This is the second part to my "Art and Sound" series where I showcase a few of my favourite guitar models in greater detail. Unfortunately this is not a review (as much as I would like to play/own these guitars!), all my assumptions have to be judged from pictures, actual reviews and Youtube. But still.... it's worth a read! And while you're at it, check out Part 1 here.

3. Manson Guitars 




I only found out about these guitars less than a year ago, and like most people, it was all due to them being (highly) endorsed by Matt Bellamy, the lead guitarist and singer from the alt-rock band Muse. While watching their 2008 "HAARP: Live at Wembley Stadium" dvd, I was impressed by Matt's guitars almost as much as his amazing playing. Not only were they suitably stylish (especially the sparkly one!) they sounded totally amazing. He must have used at least four and I can see why they've become his signature models. They had a great tone as well as some really impressive and unique features. The first model, the Manson MB-1, is the guitar he uses the most on the dvd. The little white plate underneath the bridge is actually a MIDI scratch pad, which is strummed with a pick to create some really out there synth sounds - something quite different! The second is a Manson Bomber, which Matt Bellamy also uses. This also features a MIDI control system, though it looks a little plain compared to the MB-1. However the guitar itself has a pretty sweet design which kind of makes up for it.


The PRS Starla


Out of all my dream guitars, this one pretty much takes the cake. This is one of the few on the list I've actually had the pleasure of actually seeing. It was in the Rockshop in New Plymoth and it was the first guitar on the rack to catch my eye. In fact, I think I stared at it for at least 5 minutes. I checked the price tag a few times too, but it was way out of my league unfortunately.
It is an absolutely beautiful axe, from neck to bridge. The singlecut design looks totally new, while still retaining the classic familiarity of the Les Paul guitar shape (which any guitarist worth his salt ought to know). The tailpiece, with it's elaborate locking system and silver tremolo bar just add to the effect. This is one guitar where you want to keep that whammy bar on, even if you don't use it, just because it looks so good!!!  In terms of control knobs, it has similarities with the Mira in that it has a coil splitter to turn those beautiful humbuckers into single coils, which gives more variety in tone.
There is only one word to describe this guitar, and I'm pretty sure I've used it already a few times. It is without doubt, stunningly beautiful.



Plus, Jon Foreman from Switchfoot has one! As if I needed any excuse to convince you of it's awesomeness! One day I'm going to own one of these beauties!!!!

Stay tuned for the next post in the series! And keep those comments coming!!!

No comments: