Friday, April 30, 2010

Let's sing a new song!

Hey everybody!
It's well past time we got a new song released, after all it's about a quarter of the way through the year already... so on the final day of April, we put the finishing touches on our latest and greatest songs: Minutes Become Seconds when you Divide by 60.
Very long title, but it actually fits well with the actual context of this song.
The story of this song actually started months ago, on a very wet morning listening to a guy speak at Parachute. This guy gave one of the best messages I've heard. He talked about sometimes how we can get stuck in the past, or worry to much about the future. But the present - today - is the only time where we can find God. In the here and now. That's when he reaches us. It's ok to plan for the future, but we've got to take those small babysteps to achieving those plans. Which is kinda what it's been like for our band. We really, really, REALLY want to get big, do lots of tours etc, and ultimately reach out to a lost and hurting world, and show them that in Jesus is the only hope for this planet. Not necessarily in that order. But we've got to start somewhere. And one day we'll look back and remember all the times we used to used to jam out in our sitting room, and how our family would have to wear earmuffs if ever they came in. This is where it all begins.
It was from this idea that I sat down in my room and penned the first few lines of this song, a song which echoes my own frustration at times, when I feel like I'm getting absolutely nowhere in achieving anything.
Without further ado, here it is:
MINUTES BECOME SECONDS WHEN YOU DIVIDE BY 60

Watching the last few days of summer/ Fly by me like a plane/ I wish I had a time machine/ Then I'd do it all over again

But we can't spend our lives just waiting for forever/ And now I know that now it's now or never

Because yesterday is dead and gone/ And tomorrow never comes/ But eventually I hope you see/ Today keeps moving on/ Keeps moving on

Watching the last few rays of sunshine/ Give way into the night/ Darkness is only temporary/ Before it gives way to the light

But you've only got one chance, you've only got one shot/ You've only got one life, you've gotta give it all you got

Seasons come, and seasons go/ But today is all you'll ever know/ So here's your mission: it's not impossible/ Live today like you're leaving it all/ Live today like you're leaving it all
So stick your hands up if you're with me/Let's make a difference now/Stick your hands up if you're with me/ We won't be standing down
(c) copyright Mayday 2010

Jordan

7 comments:

beka said...

you're like....some kind of genius.
I wish I was you.
LOOOOOOOOOOVE.
XOXO
p.s. I miss band practice. It's way too quiet here haha.

mayday said...

we should come play a show in palmy for nz music month aye? :D

beka said...

garage gig!

mayday said...

in your garage??
i'm keen!!!!

Anonymous said...

me2.. and invite everyone we know!! :)
nate

Amy said...

hi guys,
I saw that you had commented on Tanner's blog and I checked you out. That's a great song, with a good point to it.
ps i have an amateur blog A Look at my Life please check it out. Even though it only has 13 posts. :)

mayday said...

thanks amy, glad you liked it. we make a point of trying to have a message in each of our songs. will go check out your blog now. :D
Jordan